March 29, 2008

My God

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

Recommended Reading
John 20:26-28


Often today we hear people make reference to "their" God: "Well, my God would never want me to be unhappy!" "My God would never send someone to hell!" "My God would never say there is only one way to get to heaven!" Contrast these statements with the words of a small child: "My daddy promised to take me to the zoo, and he always keeps his promises!"

What's the difference? The child is speaking about a father whom she knows personally, with whom she has had past experiences, whom she has learned to trust. On the other hand, individuals who refer to "my God" are usually creating God in their own image. And while they're usually referring to the God of the Bible, they are usually wrong in what they so confidently assert. Paul used the phrase "my God" in Philippians 4:19 on the basis of years of knowing Him and His promises. He told the Philippians that God would supply all their needs because he knew God to be a loving Father who would bless the Philippians' sacrificial spirit in giving. God invites you to call Him your own as you learn to trust Him for your every need.

If you refer to God as your God, make sure you know Him for who He really is.


What in humans gives God most pleasure? Knowledge of himself.
J. I. Packer ----from Turning Point

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home