March 24, 2008

Jesus Freaks Response

The following is a response recieved regarding the last "Jesus Freaks" article:

I was reading a dear friends' article on Psalm22.net entitled "Those Jesus Freaks". Upon reading the title of the article I recalled several times those words rang in my ears by both those who I didn't know and those who are all too close to my heart. I began to wonder exactly what the word "freak" meant. Upon looking it up, here is how Webster's Dictionary defines the word "freak": a sudden and odd or seemingly pointless idea or turn of the mind; an ardent enthusiast; a person who is obsessed with something.

So, yes, those who called me a "freak" were indeed correct. I have had a turn of the mind. I am not the same person I was before I became a Christian. My mind has been renewed. My actions are no longer that of someone living with no hope. I am filled with a joy and a hope that fills every part of my being. Does it bother me that people I know have called me a freak in some form or fashion to my face or behind my back, no, not at all. Christ said himself in Matthew "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law'; and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 10: 34-39)

I take great comfort in these verses. I know that my duty as a Christian is to serve the Lord whole heartedly. Have I at times been bothered by what others think of me, especially those very close to me, absolutely, I am human. But after hearing everything from "I believe in God, but I don't believe in going overboard" to "are you in a cult?" I've begun to understand that His opinion of me should be the only one that matters...period. The Lord has begun to help me understand that those who do not now Him will not understand my "obsession" at all. You see, scripture tells us that "the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to those who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Corinthians 1:18)

As Christians, we must understand that those around us will not always understand our dedication and faithfulness towards Christ. They don't have to. All we can do is pray and ask the Lord to draw them closer to Himself so that they might also have the hope of salvation that was given to us as a precious gift.

Lord bless

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home