November 15, 2012

Change The World (Part 3): Be Willing

Matthew 25:31-46
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

It’s easy to talk a good talk but not walk the walk in the Christian life. I don’t think Satan minds us quoting Scripture left and right if we aren’t applying it in our lives. I’m sure he’d take that trade off any day. The commands of God are to love with “action” so our Christian lingo, prayer or Scripture memorization doesn’t do us any good if it doesn’t change us at our core and move us to action.

“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.” (James 1:22-25)
“If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?” (James 2:15-16)

The Bible says that we are created for good works in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 2:10). Often we separate faith from good works because of our understanding of faith alone that we fail to do what we were created for. God wants us to distribute good deeds. Just because we aren’t saved by them, doesn’t mean we weren’t meant to perform them; or better stated that He perform them in us.
Jesus was full of good deeds while walking the earth. He healed the sick, cast out demonic spirits from the oppressed, fed the hungry, and spoke the gospel of truth. He was kind, compassionate and always willing to go the extra mile. Jesus is now at the right hand of the Father in heaven, but now He lives His life through us by the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father” (John 14:12).

Not only does Jesus minister through us, but He says that when we minister to others it is as if we are ministering to Him. Why? Because that is where His heart is and when we care for others and show it through our actions, we are aligning with Christ’s heart. Want to know God’s will for your life? That is where it is! Its simple. It may not always be easy but it is certainly not complicated. Love like He loved. Serve like He served. It is those who exhibit this in life that prove to be His followers.
There is a world of people who are in need spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically. You get the chance to meet some of those needs. We have people all around us on a daily basis that are in need in at least one if not all of the areas mentioned above. Guess what? You were created for this very purpose! Jesus is still carrying out His work on earth and you are His means of doing so! What an exciting job we have! What an amazing purpose! Are you Willing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home