November 14, 2012

Change The World (Part 1): Be Ready

Matthew 25:1-13
1“Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ 10And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. 11Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ 13Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.”

What a beautiful picture we have here of the Holy Spirit’s work in the believer’s life. If the life of Jesus while on earth represents “God with us” then the Holy Spirit’s life through Christians after Jesus ascended into heaven represents “God in us”. The oil is the Holy Spirit’s work in our lives. The burning lamp is the result of His work in our lives. How often do Christians expect the oil in their lamps to last based on a prayer they said many years ago? Of course this isn’t to say that the Holy Spirit ever abandons the believer, but the Bible is clear that He can be ignored or put off
(1 Thessalonians 5:19; Ephesians 4:30). It is also possible to attempt to burn our wicks by the power of our own oil and not the power of the Holy Spirit. In the former case we are called to always be prepared, asking the Holy Spirit to work in us daily. In the latter, we must turn to Jesus in repentant faith asking the Holy Spirit to enter our lives, lest we be found lacking upon the Lord’s return.

I don’t know about you, but I want plenty of oil for this journey called life. I can be a hoarder by nature. I hate that part of me. I sift through mail and have a tough time throwing away things that do not need to be kept. Eventually, I end up with stacks of mail and get in trouble with my wife for having my piles of mess everywhere. I hoard. However, if I’m going to hoard anything, it should be the Holy Spirit. Give me plenty of His oil. In fact, give me a lifetime supply. I can’t live without it. When I go on my own resources I am cracked and broken and my fire either goes out quickly or burns other people. I need the Holy Spirit on a daily basis.

This is exactly why God filled the first disciples on the day of Pentecost 2,000 years ago. It was for the work of the ministry. We can’t do it without Him. The purpose of the Spirit is to pick up where Jesus left off. He is no longer with us because He ascended to the Father. However, something greater has happened. He is now in us through the working of the Holy Spirit! He makes our fire burn brightly!

When we ask the Holy Spirit to fill us on a daily basis, we become lamps who light the way for Christ to work in and through us. Somebody who is suffering may need a word of encouragement or prayer from you. There are others that need you to build them up when they get down. Who knows what might happen, but when we are prepared, through the Holy Spirit we light the way for Jesus the bridegroom to work in other people’s lives. Be ready for God to use you by inviting the Holy Spirit’s work in your life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home