October 11, 2011

What's this about Two Devils?


"Beware of self-righteousness. The black devil of licentiousness destroys his hundreds, but the white devil of self-righteousness destroys his thousands." - Charles Spurgeon 
   
While there aren't literally two devils (though many demons), this is a great allegorical statement regarding the danger of self-righteousness. In fact, it is as dangerous, if not more than what we know as worldly sin. While those that Jesus most often spoke out against were the religious elite, who were right in their own eyes, we often don't recognize the same self-righteous spirit in us. Maybe it is because we are too busy being right in our own eyes and focusing on our elite status above others. Its hard to find anyone who will admit they are self-righteous. We don't dare claim that we are better than anyone or that we have gained favor in God's eyes by our own merit, yet our actions prove otherwise.  

I for one would like to break a chain in my own life. That's the chain of self-righteousness. Though it pains me to say; I have had, and may still do (God search my heart), self-righteousness lingering within. Its hard to see and spot because we always want to gloss over and justify our own intentions. Its hard to confess because, though we admit that we are sinners in need of Grace, we never like to be wrong in the present sense.

There is nothing we have that we did not receive from God! I have come to realize this truth more and more everyday. When I focus on the faults and sin in other people's life, God has been quick to show me my own. That's not the easy way to learn a lesson and I don't recommend it for anybody. Somebody once said, "We all need to learn grace, but hopefully not the hard way. The hard way is being put in positions where we need others to show us grace." Wow! That will make you want to be teachable! With that said, I'm so glad that I can't earn God's favor and love toward me. If it were left up to me, I'd be in huge trouble because I've proved to be a failure time and time again. Thank God I am totally accepted by Him through faith in Jesus Christ!

Look at what the Bible has to say about the subject:

(Jesus) also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt:
"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.'
But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!'
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted." - Matthew 18:9-14

  
Here are some questions from Jerry Bridges that expose self-righteousness:*
  1. Do you tend to live by a list of dos and don'ts? 
  2. Is it difficult for you to respect those whose standards aren't as high as yours? 
  3. Do you assume that practicing spiritual disciplines should result in God's blessing? 
  4. Do you feel you're better than most other people? 
  5. Has it been a long time since you identified a sin and repented of it? 
  6. Do you resent it when others point out your "spiritual blind spots"? 
  7. Do you readily recognize the sins of others but not your own? 
  8. Do you have the sense that God owes you a good life? 
  9. Do you get angry when difficulties and suffering come into your life? 
  10. Do you seldom think of the cross?

J.C. Ryle:
"Beware of self-righteousness in every possible shape or form. Some people get as much harm from their virtues as others do from their sins."


 *Source   


Scott Hescht
Psalm 22 Ministries

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home