May 19, 2011

Lucky Loser

Luke 19: 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

 

 

I was watching the Italian open last weekend, and in the opening rounds I watched a guy from Finland named Jarkko Nieminen play. It was a great match, and he played harder than he had to for an opening round. Interesting thing about Jarkko, he was not supposed to be there. He was a “lucky loser” . Jarkko had lost in the qualifying rounds, and as a result he did not make the cut, but another player withdrew, so although Jarkko lost, he still was allowed to compete in the playoffs. I would love to tell you how he went on to win the event, but that did not happen. He did however beat several more players that were ranked above him, before finally falling to the number 7 player in the world. Not too bad for a loser! It really got me to thinking, ya know….I like that term, lucky loser. In the game of life, I am a lucky loser. You see, I have always been able to play the game of life, I just really was not accomplished enough to get into the “big show”, the 16’s, the playoffs, whatever you want to call it, I was just not quite good enough to make that next step….that is of course until a much better player than me withdrew. He did not pull out of the game, or leave, but out of an act of love, he sacrificed his own life, so that I could advance. He actually traded my losses, and my sin, for His wins, and His purity. As a result I got to make that next jump, I got to make it to the playoffs, I get to play in the big game of life. This player of the game of life did not just give me His spot, He loves me so much, that He has stayed on while I play to coach, to guide, and to protect me from the many dangers of playing against a craftier opponent than myself.

 

I have now found myself in the finals. Playing the game of my life….for my very life. A lucky loser, who because of the actions of another, has found myself in a position that I did not earn, playing at a level that I did not qualify for. That is how Christ works. I wonder if Jarkko on that day, felt as I do almost every day? Grateful., thankful, and most of all driven. You see none of us are really losers, we just don’t have all the tools that we need to succeed. The biggest one being a good relationship with our Lord. Christ has already made the sacrifice, He has already opened up the spot for you. You are being called right now to play in the big game. He has the best equipment, the best advice, and the best of all, He knows that you are going to win already…..even if you do not. How can you not? You have the Lord of Lord, and King of Kings at your side for a coach, a friend, and a protector. Can you hear the call now? “Hello, you are today’s lucky loser, please suit up, and head to the court………you are up” Will you show? Will you commit? Will you display the drive and the desire that can only come from trying to repay a debt that can never be repaid fully? Try, and you will find that you are not a lucky loser, you will be hailed as the champion of the game.  

 

 

God Bless,

Brian Thetford

<((((><

 

The Ridge Fellowship

 

Psalm22

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home