July 23, 2010

I am Grieved

I have to be honest. Nothing breaks my heart more than to see a lack of love for God. I struggle enough seeing the people of the world reject Him. I struggle even more seeing those that claim to be Christians show such a lack of interest in Him.

Guy Glass, co-pastor of Life Spring church, pointed out that love is demonstrated by action. If that is the case, why do so many who claim to love Him not love His Word? Why is it common place to find "Christian after Christian" confessing that they don't read the Bible on even a semi-regular basis? I can't imagine a relationship with my wife where I was not interested in communicating with her. Do people not realize that we communicate to God by prayer but He communicates with us primarily by means of His Word? So why, even when exhorted, do many still show a lack of interest in the Bible? It seems, everybody suddenly has a reading disability when it comes to God's Word. I'm not trying to be mean. It is an observation that is extremely disheartening. Not only that, but now it seems that churches all across the land are catering to this "disability". Maybe they are chalking it up to becoming all things to all people, but I don't think compromise is what the Apostle Paul had in mind when he wrote those words. Simply put, it impossible to know the will of God if we are not in His Word. If you don't know His Word than you are more than likely out of His will.

A second observation: why is there a lack of interest in church? It is sad to see some churches attempting to be more "entertaining" to keep people in the pews. If people find the Bible boring, then I guess it makes sense that church would need to be more entertaining to suit their interests. Ironically, if one were to read that "boring" piece of Godly literature called the New Testament, they would see that it knows nothing of lone ranger Christians (Hebrews 10:25). The church works as the body of Christ, carrying on the work He did while on earth. Lone Ranger Christians end up fizzling out because it isn't how God intended a member of His body to function.

Which brings me to my third observation. Nobody wants to take part in the Great Commission. Interestingly, many seasoned Christians don't even realize what it is (see churches catering to Biblical ignorance above). In other words, nobody wants to take part in the privilege of Jesus Christ's commission to preach the gospel and make fellow disciples. Unlike some, I do not believe that He was asking all Christians to be street preachers or traveling evangelists. What He does expect is the we share the Good news of Christ with our love, life and lips. This implies a proactive approach toward other souls, both lost and saved. Ask yourself if you really care that people you know may be eternally damned to hell if you don't show your love by action in sharing and living out the Gospel.

Speaking of hell, I must conclude with an important question. Could there possibly be millions of people fooling themselves? Will there be some who cry out, "Lord, Lord" on judgment day only to find themselves cast into the lake of fire because the Lord will say He never knew them. I encourage you to read the Gospels and find out. Is it worth the investment? Is Jesus worth your time?

I don't say these things in a self righteous manner. I am quite aware of my own failings. However, these failings bother me as I seek to find my rest in Christ. I sin everyday, but I am not content in it. For the Christian, there is a battle between the new creation God has begun in us and our sinful nature that will not fully perish until we meet Him face to face. Is that inner struggle there with you? Is the Christ in you waging war with the sin of your heart that He died to set you free from?

The question to ask is whether He is even there at all... in your heart that is. If there is no interest in the things mentioned above, I beg you to reconsider the state of your salvation. Think about it. Does it add up? My heart breaks day after day for those who claim to know the Lord but do not love Him. Why? Because, they are ignorant of the very Word that says otherwise. If that is you, repent and let God change your heart.He is more than willing.

Scott Hescht
Psalm 22 Ministries
www.psalm22ministries.org

Life Spring church
www.lifespringfamily.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home