December 01, 2008

The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached II


The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached II

Matthew 5-7

(Commentary by Guy Glass and Scott Hescht)
Matthew 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."


Scott: At one time in my life I had hated what I had become. My sin consumed me and I knew that I was not right with God. It weighed so heavy on my conscience that I could not put it to rest. Like a man or woman grieving the death of a loved one, I was so deeply burdened by my sin. My mourning brought me to repentance and in that moment I was comforted.

Jonathan Edwards was considered by some to be an over the top, hell bent religious fanatic. His most famous sermon "Sinners in the Hand of and Angry God" lead them to this conclusion. However, those who understand Edwards realize that he had an immense love for people and was intimately aware of the death sentence that their sin brought upon them. He mourned for their souls and would go to great lengths to show them the way of salvation.

Does your sin bother you? Then turn to the Savior. Adam Clarke understood that those who do, "He will call them to himself, and speak the words of pardon, peace, and life eternal, to their hearts."[1]

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and
purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your
laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the
Lord, and he will exalt you. (James 4:8-10)

Jesus said, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

Does the sin of the world trouble you? Do you mourn over lost souls and for those who have gone astray?

The Apostle Paul was burdened by the Corinthian's sin as he wrote, I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced. (2 Corinthians 12:21)

Blessed are those who mourn. Jesus promised that you will be comforted not only in this life, but in the next life when sin and all its destruction will be done away with for eternity.

[1] Clarke, Adam. Adam Clarke's Commentary. New York: World Publishing, 1997.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home