June 10, 2009

The Grudge: A Call to Reconciliation



The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached Part XI


Reflections on the Sermon on the Mount
Matthew 5-7

(Commentary by Guy Glass and Scott Hescht)

Matthew 5:21-26 21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.' 22But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire.23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.

Scott: At one time I prided myself in the idea that I had no personal enemies that I knew of. I tried to get along with everyone that I knew. It is interesting how things can change. Some have distanced themselves because of the gospel, and Jesus promised us that would happen if we follow Him (John 15:20). Unfortunately with others I cannot use that excuse. Although I would not call them enemies, let's just say that there are those who would rather not call me a friend. It really is unfortunate. What makes matters worse is that the division involves fellow believers.

Anger destroys and that is why Jesus put it up there with murder. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus doesn't just deal with the action, but goes straight to the root. Murder comes from a heart of anger. Now there is a Godly anger, but when Christians divide, God is far from it. Though there may be things that we would and wouldn't do differently if given a second chance, I think our sin nature attempts to place blame rather than to realize that damage has been done and as a result people have been hurt.

So, my brother has something against me. What shall I do? Jesus says don't come before God with your offering (worship) if you have not attempted to reconcile with that person. This is not something to take lightly because we can bring judgment upon ourselves by not carefully observing this command. Oh, how this ate at me!

What if they won't reconcile? Well, that isn't up to us. We have to do our part. The Apostle Paul declared, "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all" (Romans 12:18). Drop the pride and make peace. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God" (Matthew 5:9). As far as it depends on you. That isn't ignoring the situation and declaring that you hold no grudges. It is facing the issue head on and attempting to reconcile. Attempt... that is all you can do. Approach them with a sincere heart. It isn't about being right. If they won't make peace, you did all you could. You love your brother or sister, your conscience is clear and you once again can approach the throne of God with confidence. I'm so glad I obeyed this command. You will be too.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home